"Hallelujah"
Performed by Rufus Wainright
Lyrics Written by Leonard Cohen
Story by Sylver

Authors Note: I'm not really sure what inspired this fic, but I kind of like the way it turned out. It is a little weird though, be warned. Deals with what the pilots MIGHT have been thinking the day/night before they left for Earth.

Warnings: Possible spoilers for Entire Series, Endless Waltz and Blind Target.

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing, or any of it's related characters. I do not own the song whose lyrics are contained herein.

* = Song Lyrics

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

*I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this: The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah *

Wu Fei gently touched the black and white keys of the piano. He had never really understood her fascination with it. Then again, he had never really understood her. He softly began playing the only song she had managed to teach him, smiling to himself at every missed note, imagining her correcting him as she always did. When the song was finished, he closed the piano and replaced it's cover. He could hear her now, as always, telling him that everything was going to be okay. Tomorrow was always a new day.

He nodded solemnly, leaving the house. Tomorrow was definitely a new day and he was going to use it to continue what she had started.

*Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah *

The young boy couldn't remember what kind of flower it had been, he hadn't had enough time to memorize it before ... He quietly picked up at least one of every yellow flower he could find on his way to the cemetery. The path was second nature to him now and most people that saw him there just thought he was a war orphan visiting the graves of his family. But he never knew the people who's graves he visited, had never known any of them, except her. And he had only found her because he remembered Mary.

He sat quietly, watching as people came and went, and just as he was about to leave, he saw it. Of course, that one was just like the one she had given him. The barest hint of a smile crossed his lips as he picked it up, sliding it beneath his shirt so HE wouldn't see it. He said his goodbyes and told her that maybe tomorrow he would be joining her.

*Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Maybe I've been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah *

Nanashi glanced down from where he was working as he heard several people arguing. He knew them all right, they were in charge of the mission. It didn't seem like they were saying anything important, so he went back to his work, putting the finishing touches on the guidance system of the suit called 'Heavyarms'. He slightly regretted finishing his work, since he knew that tomorrow the suit would be going to Earth and he would be running the risk of getting killed, just for knowing anything about it.

Stepping out of the cockpit, he heard a gunshot, dropping the tool he had been using. Cursing his jumpiness, he froze, waiting to see if they heard. Realizing they had, he stepped forward, ready to accept whatever life threw at him next.

*Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah

There was a time you'd let me know
What's real and going on below
But now you never show it to me do you?
And remember when I moved in you?
The holy dark was moving too
And every breath we drew was hallelujah *

Quatre closed his eyes and silently wished that everyone else in the room would just go away. It was days like this that he wished his father had insisted that he not go to public school. Or rather, that he had not given in when Quatre continued to beg. He glanced out the window and thought about what he had been told the previous day. Tomorrow, he would be leaving for Earth, to carry out 'Project: Meteor'. He laughed slightly to himself listening to his classmates talking about the possibilities of a new Alliance base being built close by or how much longer until the next terrorist attack.

He traced a few characters in his notebook and idly wondered if they really wanted to know an exact timetable.

*Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Maybe there's a God above
And all I ever learned from love
was how to shoot at someone who out drew you
And it's not a cry you can hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah *

Duo sighed as he brushed the snow from the words engraved in the gravestone. It was something plain and simple, all the Colony had been able to afford at the time, but it held the name of every person that died that day. He traced the familiar names carefully, each one engraved on his heart as well. Father Maxwell, Sister Helen, all the way down the list. Some he had never met, others he had come to think of as family.

He then brushed his name over the last name on the stone, the name of a boy who's body had never been and never would be found. Although that body still lived, the boy was dead. Sighing he placed the roses on the grave, then closed his eyes one more time to pray to a god he wasn't sure was still listening to him. Tomorrow he would be leaving for Earth, possibly never to come back, but tonight, tonight he could forget who he had become and remember the boy on the gravestone.

*Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah *

As five comets descended to Earth, they carried with them their own pains, their own horrible pasts. But they also carried with them hope. The hopes of a wife, a little girl and her dog, a family never known, classmates and a group of orphans that had done nothing but live. Though they would live through hell, they would never let go of everything it took to get them there.

*Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah *